Hermes FC Win Grill League Cup

17th October 2014

Uniconn Group as main sponsors would like to take time to congratulate Hermes FC on the terrific achievement of winning the Grill League Cup after a 3-1 victory over Maud in the first Junior Football Cup Final of the season.

With an excellent 100% start in the Superleague this year this season promises to be a good one for the Bridge of Don outfit - well done so far lads - keep it up!

Match report below:

Team: Sweeney. Nash, Smith, Campbell, Pirie, Stewart, Jack, Winton, Stevenson, Dawson, Thomson: Subs: Fuller, MacRae, Wyness, Murray and Close:

With clear overhead conditions and a perfect playing surface the scene was set for the first Junior cup final of the season.

Maud were lively in the early stages and had made the brighter start. However, it was Hermes who took the lead in the 12th minute when the Maud defence allowed Thomson 2 attempts on target and with his second he curled the ball into the top corner.

Hermes' lead lasted only 4 minutes before a shot from the edge of the box was deflected into the path of Barbour who drove powerfully past Sweeney.

As the game settled into a midfield battle the best chances being created were from free kicks on the edge of the box with both clubs wasting these. Midway through the half Dawson broke into the Maud box, but under great pressure he slid the ball past the upright.

Hermes were now creating chances with Winton heading narrowly wide following a short corner. The same player had another chance in the last minute of the first half but the Maud keeper managed to claw the ball from underneath the crossbar.

Half Time - Hermes 1 - 1 Maud

The first half had been an even affair with Hermes managing to create the better chances.

The game began to open up in the second half and for a while became an end to end affair with both teams realising that one more goal might be enough - firstly Jack had a shot well saved by Dunbar before Sweeney had to dive full length to keep his goal intact. Campbell did well to block a free kick at the edge of the box before Lee Smith had a similar free kick saved by Dunbar.

A typical Lee Smith run created a chance for Dawson but he was unable to control his header and the ball cleared the bar. Hermes appeared to have broken the deadlock in the 70th minute when Stewart turned in a cross from the left but the assistant referee indicated offside.

Maud were reduce to 10 men in the 71st minute when Main was shown a second yellow card. This proved to be a bad few minutes for the country side as almost immediately Lee Smith rose to meet a Thomson corner and powered an unsavable header into the net.

Hermes were well on top at this stage but Maud's Hale brought the best out of Sweeney, in the 88th minute, when the big keeper had to dive full length to stop his shot at the post.

Hermes finally secured the win when Smith blasted home a penalty given for a foul on Murray by Barbour who received a red card for his challenge.

Full Time - Hermes 3 - 1 Maud

The match could never be regarded as a classic but both teams played well in patches. If the first half had been an even affair Hermes clearly had the better of the second and deserved to end as Grill League Cup holders.